Wednesday 8 June 2011

If it should be


My friend Katie sent me this poem when I had to say goodbye to my beautiful cat Milly a few years ago. After speaking to many people on the weekend who had pets in Spirit she suggested I give this poem as a gift to those people. Here's my gift to you if you have a beloved pet in Spirit.
In memory of our Milly x
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle can’t be won
You will be sad I understand
Don’t let your grief then stay your hand
For this day more than all the rest
Your love and friendship, stand the test
We’ve had a many happy year
What is to come can hold no fears
You’d not want to suffer so
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me where my needs they’ll tend
Only stay with me until the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see
I know in time, you too will see
It is a kindness you do to me
Although my tail its last has moved
From pain and suffering I’ve been saved
Don’t grieve that it should be you
Who has to decide this thing to do?
We’ve been close – we two these years,
Don’t let your heart hold any tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment