Tuesday 25 May 2010

Bracken's tail

Owners feedback in red


1.       How do you feel physically?
“A bit achey in the bones but other than that I’m fine”
        Yes I think that’s true from the way he now gets out of his bed

2.       How do you feel physically when you run?
I see him bounding along for a bit then stops & looks back – he repeats this with excitement but he’s not that fast. He’s bounding along in a sort of slow paced gallop.  
        He does lope along, more slowly now he’s older.

3.       How do you feel physically when you get up from sleeping?
I see him stretch his front paws out from an oval bed – then slowly gets his back end up. He’s in no rush.
That’s exactly what he does – then sometimes sits down again

4.       How do you feel physically after eating?
“Fine”
No reason to disagree

5.       How do you feel emotionally?
“I’m happy but it’s not always been this way”. I ask why & he says “I wasn’t treated well at all”. I tell him that we will go into more detail about this later & I’ll find out some more, he’s fine with this.
We don’t know his history up until we rescued him when he was 18 months old but his behaviour indicates he had not been kindly treated.

6.       Describe your character to me
I see him lolloping along, not gracefully! He wants to make me laugh but not in a cheeky way. He’s just naturally a bit dopey & doesn’t realise how funny he is naturally. He seems a very sweet natured boy.
We call him our clown because he makes us smile so much and he has never ever exhibited any bad temper, I’ve always trusted him with the kids.

7.       Do you like to play?
He shows me sat in front of someone & they’re bouncing a small ball up & down in front of him.
Not sure about this.  He was always closer to my son who when younger spent many hours trying to getting to chase a ball – which he never has, he just watches it and then walks away.

8.       What do you enjoy doing?
“Sniffing & snooping”! I see him sniffing but not in a typical ‘Spaniel – on a mission” way – it’s slower & more random.
        Yes he definitely “sees” the world through his nose and does “range”  rather than work methodically.

9.       Where do you like to be stroked/scratched?
“Under the chin & in my ears”.
Yes I knew about the chin, didn’t know about the ears but we will try it

10.   How do you feel about other dogs?
I imagine him with other dogs & he says “Get them away from me”.
That’s true; he is not comfortable with other dogs and ignores the ones he knows.  If we are out walking and meet other dogs in the woods, he will hide behind a tree until they have gone past.

11.   How do you feel with people?
women – I see him sat expectantly & then rolls over. This is done in a loving way.
men – I see him chasing his tail all excited.
children – “I want to teach them so I teach them through play”. I see him nudging with his nose, as if to give a nudge in the right direction.
We haven’t noticed him differentiating; he seems to treat everyone equally. However the comment about nudging is interesting.  If he wants our attention for something, he will tap us with his paw.

12.   I repeated your name to get his reaction
“She’s lovely & sweet, she cares for me”. I see him with his head cocked to one side. I can see the love in his eyes.
Oh he definitely will cock his head to the side when you are talking to him, especially if you mention walk, toast, breakfast or interestingly, cheese – see below.

13.   Is there anything/ any feeling you’d like to communicate to your human?
“Just of love” – he says it in a relaxed but serious manner.
Yes I don’t see him as a frivolous dog, life is a serious business.

14.   Is there any way I can help you with through this communication?
“Just pass everything onto Rose, she’ll understand”
Thanks

15.   Can you tell me anything about your life before Rose adopted you into her family?
I see him sat shaking & a man is whipping his back legs – a big man. Bracken is still trying to please him though. I ask him why this happened & he said “He didn’t understand why I did certain things”, sometimes I’d bark because I was scared & he’d beat me”. He didn’t seem to dwell on this & it doesn’t seem to affect him now. I explained that some people are ignorant & believe that humans are a higher species & can do what they want, when in actual fact we’re all equal. I told him some people are like this but not all. I explained that nothing like this would ever happen again whilst with this family. I asked him if he understood & he said “Oh yes I’m lucky to have found my family”.
That would explain his behaviour when we first got him and given the route by which we obtained him, yes he probably was lucky.

16.   What scares you?
“Cars & bikes mainly” (I believe he means motorbikes). I ask why & he said “Sometimes they’re out of control & can cause disasters”. I asked if he’d been part of a ‘disaster’ & he said “Yes, a while ago a car skidded right up close to me” – I see him cowering against a wall or bush & the car skidding & coming to a halt right up close to him. He said “It missed me by the skin of my teeth”. I asked if this still scares him & he said “Yes”. I then explain that most cars & bikes are in control and to be aware of traffic but not to let it scare him. He said “Yes, I’ll try”.
Actually he doesn’t seem to be traffic aware, so I’m not surprised if he has had a near miss

17.   Why do you get up so early?
“I get woken up by the cat – then she slinks off & I get blamed!”.
Yes that’s true most mornings (although the cat is a male).  They have a very close relationship that works to their mutual benefit.

18.   Tell me something only you & your human would know
“We share cheese sometimes”. I see Rose sat in a sofa chair & Bracken is sat waiting for his cheese. I ask him if this is a special time & he says “Oh yes, we love our cheese”.
I ask if there’s anything else & again he shows me sat in front of someone bouncing the small ball REALLY high & he’s bemused watching.
Absolutely, cheese is his overwhelming passion in life – he can smell the cheese box being opened at a hundred paces.  If he won’t come in at night, we just shout cheese and he appears like magic.

Thank you for this re-assuring portrait of our friend who has brought much humour – and quite a lot of mud – into our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment